Prettiest North Shore Beaches
July 24th, 2020
20 Idyllic Fall Activities in Minnesota: Explore the Shore
It’s never too early to start peering ahead to autumn’s vibrant arrival. There’s just something magical about fall’s kaleidoscope of crimson, amber, marigold, and kelly green, especially along Minnesota rocky North Shore. Minnesotans simply cannot resist the urge to toss on flannel, sip pumpkin spiced lattes, and meander underneath falling leaves. And there’s no better place to commemorate fall’s peak than Cascade Lodge, a historic, undeniably romantic slice of the Shore on the western edge of tranquil Cascade River State Park. To ensure that your next escape to our lakefront Lutsen lodge is nothing short of sublime, we’ve pieced together 20 classic fall activities in Minnesota. Bookmark this page and challenge your partner (or family) to try each activity during your stay!
20 Fall Activities in Minnesota: An Autumn “Bucket List”
Before we dive into this list of quintessential fall activities in Minnesota, it’s worth noting that autumn is arguably the most desirable season up here at Cascade Lodge. Midwesterners love crisp temperatures, tumbling leaves, and rustic cabins, particularly when its 100 miles from the city’s clutch. So, remember to book well in advance!
- Greet the day with a steaming cup of coffee underneath a comfy blanket from the Faribault Woolen Mill.
- Gather around a crackling campfire to share ghost stories, munch on marshmallows, and stargaze at the glittery sky above.
- Take a long drive on historic Highway 61 to admire the sweeping beauty with Bob Dylan’s best album as your soundtrack.
- Carve pumpkins on your backwoods patio.
- Skip rocks on one of Lake Superior’s prettiest beaches.
- Hike through Cascade River State Park. Take nothing but pictures; leave nothing but footprints.
- Embark on a self-guided waterfall tour, which remains one of the most beloved fall activities in Minnesota.
- Sip on an autumn-inspired beer at Voyageur Brewing Company, such as the classic Oktoberfest or Autumn Sun grapefruit IPA.
- Picnic at Wayswaugoing Bay Overlook, home to spellbinding views of Lake Superior and its various islands near Grand Portage.
- Bake a pan of apple crisp in your cabin using leftovers from your stroll through Minnesota Harvest.
- Try a new activity, such as birding, forest bathing, or geocaching.
- Be a mixologist for an evening by crafting some fall sangrias.
- Trek up to a jaw-dropping peak atop Carlton, Lookout, or Oberg Mountain.
- Taste-test a variety of seasonal varietals at the North Shore Winery.
- Enroll in a course at the North House Folk School.
- Toss on flannel and pose for a cute family picture.
- Walk the Kadunce River to a secret waterfall.
- Ride the Summit Express Gondola en route to Moose Mountain, a 1,690-foot-tall natural marvel.
- Make the perfect fall playlist on Spotify with tracks from Sea Wolf, Lord Huron, Phoebe Bridgers, Band of Horses, Novo Amor, S. Carey, and more.
- Play 27 holes at Superior National.
The Best Four-Season Lake Superior Lodge
The perfect place to start and finish each day of leaf-peeping is along Lake Superior’s edge at Cascade Lodge, home to the finest lodging near Grand Marais. Stroll through the property’s weaving trails, walk the creek, devour a plate of wings at Cascade Restaurant & Pub, and welcome dusk’s golden arrival by lighting a bonfire with a glass of fine wine in hand. Autumn always approaches in a blink of an eye, so remember to book a getaway at your earliest convenience by calling us today at 218-387-1112. You can also check availability online.